Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Where I live now, part II

Kopong Jr/Sr. Secondary School




Felix/aka Fred Astair

Chicken plucking time

myhouse, pit latrine, chicken coop, main house with slaughter equipment


my communication center

PULA!

Today, after 5 days of crazy heat, and being sent home from school because there was no water, we got PULA! (rain). Not a lot, not enough, but it was wet and the sky was amazing and we are all praying for more. I have found a place just outside the gates of this compound where I can lean against a fence and watch the sunset. The dogs, Felix (who I call Fred Astaire because of his white spats and his debonair manner) and Spike, who seems to live up to his name, now follow me about. It is comforting, and often opens up conversations with people because they recognize the dogs, but of course who on earth is the white woman with the flower umbrella? I can then tell them I live with the dogs and they know my landlady and know where I live. When I returned from school today the chicken slaughter was once again underway. Here in Botswana the feet are considered one of the best parts of the bird. Have not tried them yet. may never do so.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Celia! I just scrolled through all the photos and blog posts I'd missed the past weeks. Wow, I'm so happy for you--it sounds like you're settling in and becoming a real Botswana PCV! The pictures are great and really give a sense of your life now. You will have so many stories to tell! XO, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the communication center!!!

    ReplyDelete