Saturday, November 12, 2011

Where I live now: Kopong

My landlady Gladys & me with NYC shopping bag

Gail in the garden behind my house
Chantelle & cousin

front of my house

kitchen

bedroom
I am now living in a 2-room house on the Kgopo family compound. Gladys (my landlady) kindly took me to Gabs yesterday to grocery shop in what I could swear was Whole Foods. Needless to say my shopping instincts took hold and I managed to ignore my list and stock up on fresh fruits and veggies, cheese, herbs and spices, things I hadn't seen in two months. Then she took me to Pick and Pay (think Stop & Shop) and I filled the basket with staples and garden supplies. When we returned to our village, she took me to her favorite butcher, who slapped the beef on the scale without wax paper, etc. while brushing off the flies. After that we stopped in the local general provision store and I was excited to buy a NYC shopping bag. Gail, the maid from Zimbabwe, is eager to help me work on the garden the previous PCV created, and together we hope to create a compost pile and grow some tomatoes and herbs as well as some vegetables. Kopong often has water shortages, so I am using as much 'gray water' as I can to water the gardens. Chantelle, the 10-year-old who speaks perfect English is standing under the only tree in the yard, where the cars are usually parked. With her is her 6 year old cousin. The dog is exhausted from barking all night...

No comments:

Post a Comment