Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Ambassador Comes to Town

Although it is only 5 miles (as the crow flies) from the airport and only 20 km from the capital of Botswana, my village is [literally] not on the map. So it was a grand event yesterday when Michelle Gavin, the American Ambassador, came to Kopong. 




Ambassador Gavin made the trek out to our village because the embassy was donating health books to all the libraries in Botswana that were built by Robert and Susan Rothschild, a couple from New Hampshire who I met last October at the celebration party for the 50th anniversary of Peace Corps. When I arrived in Kopong last November I made a bee-line for the library and offered my services. I have spent my life in libraries, they are my second home and I have always considered my library card the most valuable card in my wallet. The ambassador seems to feel the same way. She brought her three-year-old daughter and her husband with her, and in her talk she said coming to the library felt like 'coming home'. When she spoke to me at the end of her visit she laughed, saying what a pleasure it was to spend time reading to children rather than sitting in a board room.



People were truly 'honored' that the American Ambassador came to Kopong. We may not have an ATM, or a grocery store or reliable transportation, but we do have a library worth visiting.



My friend Thabo with my her son Bradley and Susan Rothschild. Thabo is wearing her nurses' uniform and Susan is wearing a traditional Botswana skirt, made by a resident of Kopong.




3 comments:

  1. I love seeing you in the library, Celia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wonderful to see the Kopong Library being embraced. My two favorite things about America: Freedom and Libraries. How can you not love the idea of a community sharing books?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Celia, I was one of the Lesley students with you in Hester Kaplan's workshop. What an adventure, and I have so enjoyed reading through this blog. I hope you have let Hester and Steven know about your journey. Best, Sandra Rouse

    ReplyDelete