Saturday, March 17, 2012

Traveling and Training

When I got off the plane from home a month ago I had one full day to recover from jetlag, wash my winter clothes, and pack up some summer clothes before I had to head off to a regional meeting in Kanye. From there the life skills people in our Peace Corps group headed to Molepolole for a two-week training with the Botswana Ministry of Education. When we finished with that I had two days to wash my dirty clothes and pack for a trip up to Kalamare to do a training I had missed while back in America. As a friend said "we may end up being the most-trained, least-working peace corps volunteers.." I am happy to report that trainings appear to be over for the time being and I have actually been in school this past week. Students are once again doing exams, which means that I have basically missed a whole term at Kopong Junior Senior Secondary school.

The least said about the government training, the better. Take the word 'government' add 6 hours a day of power point presentations and 35 tired-of-trainings volunteers and you can imagine the state of affairs. When I got back to my village the local tuck shop girls told me I was fat (Botswana have no problem looking you up and down and commenting on what they see). After two weeks of sitting, I was glad the next training took place at a volunteer's home and included a bit of hiking after hours.

Here are some photos from the places I've been and the trainings I've done.
This is Geri, our trainer, after a hard day of work.

Trained and ready to go


cocktails (wine in a peanut butter jar) on the rocks

No comments:

Post a Comment